I.RCF Strategic Business Rationale
FY: RCF Director/Manager:
The purpose of this document is to describe 1) the value of the VPRI Research Core Facility to the research community, 2) the rationale for why the particular products/services provided by the core facility are necessary to facilitate research excellence at UO, and 3) the financial viability of core facilities with details on expected revenue that will offset expected operational costs.
- What are the products or services to be provided by the RCF? Attach current rate schedule for all products/services.
- What are the advantages of organizing these products/services in a RCF?
- What types of research will take advantage of products/services offered?
- List the current UO independent PI users of the facility.
- List the current outside users of the facility.
- What is the demand by outside users for the offered products/services?
- What is the competition for such products/services and how does this facility produce value added over the competition?
- Describe the space occupied, who controls the space and what agreements are in place for continuing occupancy, and include a floor plan describing the use of the space.
- Describe your plans for marketing the products/services provided by the RCF, both on and off campus, including responsibilities for developing/maintaining the core facility web site?
- Describe the mechanism to gather annual feedback from users on the nature of the product/services offered and their quality.
- What student training opportunities are offered by the RCF?
- What are the typical one-time and on-going operational costs? Include:
- State-funded staff
- Income-funded staff
- Capital equipment (describe source of funding for each)
- Scientific equipment reserve (cannot exceed 20% of revenue nor be retained >3 years)
- New instruments
- Other operating expenses
- Maintenance contracts
- Phone, FAX, copying costs
- Shipping costs
- Office supplies, Etc.
- Costs of creating each unit of product/service (e.g., reagents, supplies, etc., per sample)
- Time and materials equipment repair
- Are there costs that cannot or will not be recovered? Why?
- How are the RCF costs projected to change over the next 3 years?
- User-fee income is expected to contribute most if not all of cost recovery revenue. What fiscal resources are expected from users, departments/units/colleges, VPRI, and other sources? Include:
- Project the number of units to be sold for each unit of product/service.
- Show that your sales forecast and subsidies (e.g., state-funded staff, F&A contribution, etc.) produce the necessary funding to cover all fixed and variable costs.
- How are the RCF sources of revenue projected to change over the next 3 years?
II. Organizational Chart (attach all current Job Descriptions)
III. RCF Annual Report
RCF Director/Manager: Report on core facility performance of the past FY, including:
- Summarize changes to the RCF's Strategic Business Plan, Organizational Structure, Revenue, Costs, including any investments made (e.g., replacement or upgrade of equipment or expertise) and their resultant impact
- Summary of user feedback & description of how feedback refined facility operation
- Request for new investments in next FY and anticipated return on investment
- Core Facility Metrics. The following metrics have been designed to measure the utilization, research productivity, and institutional costs associated with the operation of the core facility. Some of these data are also required for successful applications for shared instrumentation grant programs, which VPRI strongly encourages its supported core facilities to pursue. These metrics should be compared to data from the previous reporting period, as available.
- Usage (which of these apply depends on the type of service/products provided)
- List of UO independent PI users
- List of outside users
- Number of samples run/service units provided by service type
- Instrument/service utilization (if applicable), including time spent on each activity, developing methods, conducting maintenance, down time, idle time
- List of current grants using core, list of grants generated by core facility staff
- Publications resulting from data generated from RCF use
- List of technology transfer disclosures or patents
- List of training activities and students trained in facility